Sharon - Afton, Michigan

I’ve learned that no matter what happens or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better TOMORROW.

This quote touches me deeply. Lots of things have happened in my lifetime and some of those things have made me feel as though I have nothing to hope for or look forward to. Going into foster care September 23, 2003 along with my sister Rhonda and brother Ronnie, took a big toll on my life, but was a blessing in disguise. I lost faith in my parents. My expectations for my parents were just too high. myself, brother and sister moved from our parent’s home to a foster home in Cheboygan, Michigan. A year later, my siblings and I moved to a foster home In Gaylord where we were originally from. That didn’t last long. I moved because of some problems I was experiencing, with the foster mother. A friend and her mother tried to adopt me; living with a friend didn’t work out, either. Rhonda and Ronnie moved back to the foster home in Cheboygan. I then met a new family a few months later they took me in and that is where I’ am now. Ronnie and Rhonda are adopted now, by different families. Having experienced the pain of my parents abandoning me, and living in tumultuous foster care system, I have realized that the outcome has been the best for me and my siblings. Living in foster care for three years has taught me a lot about life and my response to it. My sister and I used to fight daily. Even though we don’t live together, we appreciate one another and value our time together much more. As if this wasn’t enough to deter me from having any hope for the future. I lost my parents to drug overdoses. When my father died on February 5, 2005 I had just about given up on him. He was in and out of prison my whole life. I didn’t even cry at first until I realized my dad was really gone and it hurt beyond words, knowing I’d never see or touch him again. While still grieving with my father’s death, My Mother died March 6, 2006 also by a drug overdose. I was close with my mom and took her death hard. After all I have been through in the past three years I’ ve realized so much and I’ ve become a whole new person. I have a complete different out look on life. In spite of my experiences, I can look forward to lots of things to come in my life. I’ve achieved a lot and have a lot more to achieve. I’ am determine to show my family I can be better and stronger, by living out my life responsibly. I believe that life experiences can do a lot to a person’s life but, that doesn’t mean it’s all over. You can overcome these obstacles in your life and still be you because life does get better. It just takes time. Losing my parents has turned me into a whole different person than I probably would have been and that makes me look forward to the future.