Chris & Addison - Jericho, Vermont
Themes: parenthood

I belive that one of the greatest joys in life are those gems that parents get treated to every so often while interacting with their kids. These moments obviously don’t occur enough, but as a parent you need to be sure that you are paying attention. As a parent, I have found that even when you are there, you may still miss them due to a different perspective. A good example of this is the following poem that my, then, seven year old daughter wrote for me as a Christmas gift. I viewed this event as small and unmemorable, but as my daughter reminds me in her poem, it is all a matter of perspective. I have this poem framed and in my office, and I never fail to smile when I read it….

The Reindeer’s Gift

As me and my sister walk to the fireplace to set the cookies and milk down,

All of a sudden a thought about how Santa eats all the cookies in the world came in to my head.

“Dad”, I whispered.

“Yes”, he said.

“Why do the reindeer get nothing to eat for Christmas?”

“I don’t know….why do you ask?”

So, I told him about Santa and the reindeer.

“So, I was thinking we could give them food.”

“……. Well, Addison…that is a great idea.”

So my Dad got the carrots and I put on my warm boots and coat. When we got outside we looked up to see the stars and the moon sparkling their brightest in the night sky.

“Wow”, I said.

“Yeah, isn’t it beautiful?” My dad said walking over to our yard. My dad handed me a carrot.

“Now Addison, throw this on the roof when I count to 3.” It wasn’t exactly what I had in mind, but it was ok.

“1…2…3…”

My dad’s carrot landed on the back of the roof.

Mine….well it landed on the front porch.

“A little higher this time Addison,” my dad encouraged me.

“1…2…3…”

My dad’s carrot went to the right of the roof. Mine landed sadly in the gutter.

“Last time Addison, you can do it.”

“1…2…3…”

My dad’s carrot went to the left of the roof.

Mine…..it landed right smack in the middle of the roof.

“Yes”, I whispered.

In the morning instead of going to the presents I went outside.

“Dad, the carrots are gone!!” I yelled.

That is when I truly believed.