Steven - USA

I believe in music. I believe that it is not only a form of entertainment, but also a process of healing. You listen to the lyrics and rhythm of the beat, the strings and percussion, and any pain in your heart disappears. It is food for the soul and sometimes a filling for the empty space in your heart. It relates to situations and events that occur in your life. Sometimes it’s an inspirational message in lyrical form. Sometimes it’s a depressing description of a loss and heartache. Regardless, the sound heals.

It is something that can get people off of their feet onto a dance floor; or something that can be the background noise in a room full of people. It can be the wake up call in the early portion of the day or the soothing noise that puts you into a deep dream. It’s proved to be something that can get you motivated to win the championship game of a conference title, or something that can relieve your pain after a losing a game. Music has always been a big part of my life, and it took over about four years ago as I picked up a guitar for the first time; the feeling of my fingers on each fret when I first played this foreign instrument. The first time I read this complex and magnificent thing we call music and my first attempt at a composed ensemble.

Music is such a feeling of satisfaction and in my opinion, vital to everyday life. It is one of the largest forms of entertainment that our society can relate to. Without music, I feel life would be bland. It adds spice to people; it defines them. Everyone has a favorite type of music. Some can relate to others preference, while some have their own different from all. Music provides memories and reflection. It can remind you and bring you back to times and events in your life. It can also remind you of different people in your life; loved ones and friends. Many artists compose music that they themselves can relate to. I like this because it proves a meaning of vulnerability and confession of the artist. It shows that though they live a lifestyle unlike anyone else, that they can relate to you and your lifestyle.

Music is an essential part of the human experience of life. It promotes social development and encourages spirituality. Music can provide a sense of self-discipline. To some music is a style of worship, to some it is a job. But to everyone, music is healing and provides a large space for self-expression and growth.