Dena - Chicago, Illinois

Give me something to laugh about, and to laugh loudly, for I believe in laughter.

The Bible says that there is a time to weep and a time to laugh, but I’ll take laughter any day, any moment; in fact, my favorite type of laughter is that spontaneous, in the moment, kind of laughter. But even in those times of weeping, in those long trials and tragedies that are inevitable in life, in stressful days, in tense moments of a disagreement, in just day-to-day living, laughter provides and comforts, giving such a feeling of relief – even if it is just for a moment. It is a healer; it is a healer of the spirit indeed. Laughter is a type of good medicine as the saying goes. It relieves tense situations, strained relationships – it is a unite-er. It is also an expression of joy, triumph, and thanksgiving, all good for the soul. And I have much to be thankful for, so I’ll keep on laughing.

On the other hand, there are times when I’m so caught up in “my own world”, stressed out without really realizing it, caught up in my own thinking or project or whatever I’m focused on when somebody comes along and shares what their 4 year old son said the night before – out of the mouth of babes! And, boom, out comes my obnoxious laugh – oh-so-loud, deep, and strong. An annoyance to some, perhaps, but something I am glad to have as a part of who I am.

Laughter is truly an expression of one’s individuality – just as there is diversity among people, there are many different kinds of laughs and a variety of things people laugh about. What’s funny to one is disgusting to others. Another may find something somber yet still another finds humorous. Our senses of humor are as individual as our personalities.

Yes, I’m all for laughter – not the cynical kind or the hurtful, mean type – just good, hearty laughter at things comical and silly, at myself, at others who can laugh at themselves too, at great one-liners, at the stories people tell, at unusual situations or at things completely unbelievable.

And although there are so many types of laughs – the roar, the chirp, the chuckle, the squeak, the silent shaker, the giggle, the snort, and the snicker – I’ll take my favorite. Give me the full, robust, almost-too-loud (well, really, give me too-loud!) spontaneous, shake-your-body, make you way-wide-smile kind of laughter any day. For in laughter, I believe.