Colleen - Atchison, Kansas

I want to achieve greatness. I want to successfully reach the dreams I have set before myself. I want my successes to be visible to others giving them the opportunity to remember what they are striving for; to remember their dreams that may have been muted by struggle but still blare in the soul with passion.

I believe in the individual. I believe that each individual has the ability to grant society with greatness just by their mere presence. But this power has been trampled over by our aggressive, competitive society. We are taught that the definition of greatness is becoming the CEO of a large corporation, or becoming the top surgeon at the best hospital in the country; we are teaching our children to be martyrs for their field.

Children live their childhood practicing what we have titled, “role playing”. They want to be doctors, they want to be nurses, they want to be mothers, fathers, truck drivers, firemen; they want all of this never at the expense of others. Their makeup world revolves around sharing, I will be the doctor today and you can be the secretary tomorrow.

How many children keep these dreams? They become formed by society, family and friends to full fill dreams that are not their own. They learn that achieving these dreams does come at the expense of others. They are taught through school and observation that the weak and emotional stay at the bottom while the strong and emotionless rise to the top.

Children’s dreams become formed by society; rules and regulations begin to dominate their young minds. With this they lose their creativity and passion for achieving their dreams. Through rejection and punishment they begin to believe, that unlike what their parents told them, they are not able to become whatever they want to become.

Our society would be filled with an awe-inspiring population if we would treat each person as an individual. We need to cradle children’s dreams while remembering their frailness. We tell our children that they can be anything they want to be. In order for them to believe that we need to start acting on our lessons and teach our children how to keep hold of what they believe in; remind them that each profession and dream is not any less important or unattainable then any other.

I believe in the individual. I believe that we each have the ability to become great. But greatness comes in all definitions. I want to forget what society tells me, I want to become a great mother and missionary, and I hope you all will become great doctors, nurses, secretaries, truck drivers, politicians, mothers and fathers. We can change the world, one individual at a time.