Ernesto - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Themes: setbacks

“This I Believe”

I believe people learn from their mistakes in many ways. I myself can say I have learned from my mistakes even though mistakes occur often to me. When I was a little kid my cousins and I would get on my roof at night and throw rocks at cars that would pass by. Till one day, when I threw the rock and broke the front windshield of a moving car, the driver got all scared and lost control sending the car through our front fence causing me to get into even more trouble. But if I had not thrown that rock, none of this would have ever happened. I learned from that mistake quickly and never did it again since. But unfortunately for me that was only the beginning of many mistakes to come.

Mistakes happen for a reason. They let people know when it is time for change. This summer I was begging my parents for a new four- wheeler, because the one I had was too small for me. So when my parents finally decided to get me one, I had to have the top of the line bike only because its what I wanted. I ended up getting a brand spank’n new 2007 700R Raptor the fastest stalk ATV on the line. Well things had been going good for about two months. Till disaster struck. One Saturday morning I was supposed to get up and cut the grass but, instead I decided to disobey my parents and go out for a quick ride. Well that ride nearly cost me my life.

The day was great for riding. There were no clouds in the sky, a nice little breeze made everything rite. Then I decided to take my quad on a little ride to the train tracks. When all of a sudden I had a need for speed, so I hit the throttle like never before. And when I least expected it I came face to face with death. There was a ditch about ten feet wide and I was coming up to it about 40 mph. I had no time to react to the situation so I flew right into the wall of the other side of the ditch. After that I remember nothing besides waking up in the hospital. I had a serious head concussion from I don’t know what, I had a dislocated elbow and a fractured wrist and two broken ribs it was the worst day of my life. I totaled my new quad and nearly lost my life. My mistake was not wearing any kind of protective gear and deciding to disobey my parents. Now I have learned to listen to my parents more often and not to try and speed on my quad because who knows maybe I might not be so lucky next time.