Ashley - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Themes: sports

I Believe

I believe that sports build character. Through my personal experiences, sports have changed me in a way that is unexplainable to some one who has never belonged to a team. The traits that I have built through sports could not have been learned by any other experiences. Being on a team teaches you the importance of respect, the need for dedication, and the will for determination. Sports have sculpted me and made me a better person.

Respect is a must in everything you follow through with. Sports have taught me the importance of respect and what it really means to work with other people. In order to get respect you need to give it and with my attitude it wasn’t exactly easy. The first time I met my first coach, he told us that we needed to hustle and I blew him off. I got yelled at and I began to yell back. When he saw that I had an attitude, he cut my spot on the team. As you can imagine, I was upset. Over the years, my dad had been my coach and I always had the spot on the team and I never worried about it. I had a problem with authority. I used to think it was either my way or the highway. The cut was a big reality check. I very quickly caught on to how important it was to have respect for my peers. It was hard to control my temper but I managed to deal with it through the adrenaline of the sport. This made me work ten times harder. This is why I am where I am today.

What is dedication? In my opinion, dedication is something you develop when you’re doing something you love. For me, my dedication is softball. When I was younger, my dedication to softball was slim to none. As I progressed in softball, the amount of dedication I had, grew as I became more competitive. I also grew loyalty towards my team, which meant a stronger bond and we grew as a team. The first team that I actually felt apart of was the fire stixs. We went undefeated that year. The dedication we had for each other and the team is a bond that can never be broken.

Without determination, you can’t have dedication. Without determination, I would never have pushed myself to be better. Respect then comes into play because of my attitude. This is when I felt the most serious because I pushed myself to achieve all I wanted. I was determined to endure the pain, the sweat, and the hustle for the love of the sport that soon became my life.

Sports have a process of changing a person but only for the better. I have experienced this through personal pain but also through enjoyment. The feeling of accomplishment is the best feeling that can be experienced through sports. I have followed through, and that I did for myself.