Estevan - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Themes: integrity

Why is it that if someone was trapped in a burning building some people will just stand around outside observing while others will go into that building to save a person.

This question can have many different answers but I truly believe that it all depends on one’s character.

I believe that how you react in a time of crisis shows your true character. As human beings we are created to react to many different situations. Some situations are more difficult then others but nonetheless we react to them. During a time of crisis however, we either develop a sense of heroics or a sense of despair. It is said that “it matter not what horrific events takes place in one’s life, but how one reacts to those events.”

In my life there has been plenty of difficult situations. Some have tested my character to the limit. One such situation occurred just this past summer and really tested who I am as a person.

It was in a late warm summer July day. I was working as a recreation leader at Heights Community Center. Now normally we have about a seven person staff, but on one particular Friday there was only three: Myself and two other women. I am the youngest at my job so naturally I am the most inexperienced. But all that soon changed.

The kids at the center were practicing for an annual city-wide talent show. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. A group of boys were practicing for a karate skit they planned to use for the show. One of the boys was pretending to kick his brother. His brother pretended to fall as a result of a fake kick, but instead landed hard on the corner of a concrete ramp. Almost immediately his head began gushing blood. I personally have never been faced with such a challenge, but I had to act rather quickly. I rushed to the first aid kit and tried to calm the boy down. I cleaned his deep wound and applied pressure to stop the bleeding. Finally I was able to get the bleeding under control.

I had a lot of help from the other kids and I thanked them for their assistance. When the other recreation leaders came to see what was going on they could not believe a 16 year old had taken control of a rather serious situation.

I was humbled by their compliments. I was relieved the next day when the boy came back and beside a few stitches seemed to be ok. My boss and the boy’s parents thanked me for what I had done to help their son. The boy thanked me again and then asked if we could go play football. I agreed and was glad that things were back to normal.

This is why I truly believe one’s true character can be triggered during a crisis. It is comforting to know that people are will to help others and do what they can to solve the problem.

Take the time to realize your own character and once you find it use it, and help others with it.