Alycia Baca - Alb., New Mexico
Themes: integrity

I believe with every lie you’re that much closer to the truth. Every lie stands tall with that shadow of truth behind it. When you lie your going to eventually get caught. In the end the truth always comes out. Lying doesn’t accomplish anything because sooner or later no matter how slick you are with your words, your body is screaming the truth. It only takes one twitch or a certain look for your body to betray you.

People go through life lying and trying to deceive the mind from good and bad. But face it; doing the wrong thing is always the easy way out. When you lie you can get what you want and it’s usually not hard. Telling a lie isn’t a crime but in some eyes it’s the worst thing you could possibly do. In some countries a lie can cost you your life.

There was this one time a close friend of mine was cutting herself. She would slowly start coming to school with a bunch of bracelets as if it was the new fade. We could all tell that something was wrong with her but every time we asked she replied, “No I’m fine why?” and always kept a smile and a straight look on her face. We all worried about her once we left school grounds not knowing what she would do when she got home. No one had the nerve to ask her straight up if she was cutting herself except the day when she came to school with a long sleeved shirt. There was blood on the sleeves so we reported it to the teacher and she was then helped. She still thanks us to this very day for not believing her.

So with lying there’s nothing to be gained but everything to be lost. With my story her lies could have costed her her life. Every time she would tell us a lie she would let out a piece of truth not knowing it. After she lied to us enough she had basically given us the whole truth. So know what your doing in life and know where you stand when it comes to the truth.