Shanna - Mulvane, Kansas

This I Believe…

I believe in the power of a smile. My mother worked retail for most of her life, and she taught me from as far back as I can remember that a simple smile can make the biggest difference in your customer’s day. She said, “No matter how bad you might feel, no matter how rude the customer may be, just smile at them. It won’t hurt you, and it may be the only smile they see all day.” She really believed that if she could make someone’s day a little brighter just by giving them her shining smile, then she had accomplished something that day.

I’ve practiced her advice every day of my working life, and I’ve found that a smile is the universal language that speaks through every barrier known to man. It can breach the generation gap, it can cross racial lines, it translates into every known language on the planet, and it lays the foundations for strong relationships. I’ve used my smile to tell a nervous student buying supplies that I know how she feels, I was there once, too. I’ve used my smile to tell the elderly gentleman buying a fifty cent pencil that he is just as important to me as the contractor standing behind him with a thousand dollar piece of equipment. I’ve used my smile to tell the lady from Argentina that it doesn’t matter that I can’t understand her words, I’m still happy to know her, and I’ll help her any way I can.

The power of a smile is undeniable. Just give someone a smile and you can rest assured that at the end of the day, even if your computer went down, your motivational meeting fell on deaf ears, your project hit a dead end, you’ve still accomplished something. You’ve touched someone’s life and inspired them to touch someone else. So, give a smile. Send it ‘round. It makes a difference, and so do you.