Ricky - Albuquerque, New Mexico

I believe that life is nothing but a blur and that over the years I have been under the impression that a year lasts only as long as one second does.

Although I feel like yesterday was my first day in kindergarten, making that first step in the educational process, my mind knows different. I, to this day as a junior in high school, remember the significant details of the day. My parents dropped me off at school and in doing so set me on a journey that I have yet to accomplish. At first, I did not know what to expect, I was apprehensive but as the hours passed I realized that recess was not a subject of concern.

From the days running around playing tag with numerous friends to the days of complex math classes and taking college entrance exams such as the ACT, I have noticed that my years have slipped away like the dreams of a high school dropout. Years have passed and I have nothing to show for what I have accomplished or perhaps it is because I have yet to accomplish anything. Although I have succeeded in passing my classes every year and in doing so, I have earned the right to move on to the next grade level. When I take a broad overview of this, I have become conscious that it has taken me about ten years to move about a couple of miles, from my elementary school to my high school.

With my senior year of high school just around the corner, I have some crucial decisions that I must make before I head out into the real world. I am aware that moving on to college in another state is a big step, but the stepping-stones up to this point in my life have been close together, and I am unaware of my readiness for such a leap. This brings up the question, will my eighteen years, or as I see it eighteen seconds, of being under the guidance of my parents enough preparation from what is to come?

My life has been one big question that does not have an answer to this point in time; the question being, am I moving at a slow rate or is time just fast paced? For either possibility, I must find a way to adapt to the situation. I have grasped the fact that time is of the essence so I must do all that I can in my power to avoid wasting time because once it is gone there is no getting it back.