Cristina - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Themes: death

Nobody is perfect; therefore, nobody has the right to take another’s life. Murder is the absolute worst thing in the world.

Three years ago, my uncle was brutally murdered by three gang members. He was my only uncle on my mother’s side of the family and the only uncle I really ever talked to. His murderers did not receive that much of a punishment, getting a maximum of 10 years in prison. They had changed their story many times, as though they were not able to remember the one they had made up. Seeing people getting away with murder is my all time greatest pet peeve. By criminals getting the minimum consequence for their actions, the justice system is pretty much telling them to continue committing crimes. As their life goes on, and their criminal records build up, the crimes they commit tend to become a bigger and bigger offense. When something goes wrong in life, people tend to turn to violence. I believe these people need to find another way to express their anger.

Anger is one of those things in life that happens to all of us; it is inevitable. My way of taking out my anger is out on the tennis courts. It takes my mind away from my concerns, leaving me with a clear, reenergized thought process. Last year during tennis season, I was a much calmer and easygoing person. Relaxation and exhilaration, which I receive through playing tennis, are what most people are searching for in life. People who exercise are naturally happier because they have a steady and consistent flow of endorphins from their brain to their body. Being involved in sports or other social activities can be a healthy alternative to committing violence.

If people quit letting insignificant things in life bother them, there would be less anger and less violent acts overall. Loved ones of a murder victim are most affected by the brutality of violent crimes. Losing a loved one is a horrific event to deal with, especially at a young age. Taking your anger out on inanimate objects may be the key for some in control of their temper. Murder is an inexcusable act, committed by those who cannot find other ways of releasing their personal troubles, and take them out on other individuals.