Jannine - Albuquerque, New Mexico

I Believe That Rap Is More than Music

Some people think that rap is music that does not make sense and that it is full of profanity. I believe rap is an art and that you have to have a certain mindset in order to understand it. You have to appreciate the style before you can start to comprehend it.

I believe rap is an art because only an artist can make words flow with a beat. Only an artist can look at a situation and paint it into a masterpiece. Rappers always seem to acquire bad reputations because they do certain things to get attention for their work. They are just like amateur artists trying to get their work in galleries. They will do whatever it takes to get their rightfully earned glory.

I believe rap is abstract. When you go to a museum, you sit down in front of someone’s so-called art. You stare and stare, trying to see what the artist is trying to show. That is how rap is. You have to be patient and try to understand where the rapper is coming from. Once you get to that point, you start to notice that rap is more than what people try to say it is. It is music invented by people trying to say their opinion so that common people can understand it.

I believe rap will never go instinct. There has always been rap, it was just underground. Rappers were just waiting for someone brave enough to show the world a new way of showing opinions. Now that it is playing on radio, people are now having problems getting rid of it. A good example is The Notorious B.I.G. He died almost ten years ago and his rapping label is still coming out with songs that he made before his death. Rappers are hard workers; they may go into hibernation for a little bit, but they will never disappear for good.

Some people try to say rap is not music and that it is pointless. Some people say rap brainwashes the youth of America and that it causes them to hurt other people. In the rapping world, those people are considered unaware of the world around them. Only those people speak of what they do not know. People need to give rap a chance or stop complaining because rap will never die.