Kyle - Albuquerque, New Mexico

I believe you should always do what you want to, and not let others sway your decision. Other people may think its not cool, but don’t let them be your mind and make decisions for you.

I like to think that I always do what I think is right, and not what is considered “cool” by the masses, but it is a lie. If you were to count, I think I do the thing I want to about 95% of the time. It doesn’t matter what others think of you, and I don’t let them sway my decisions. You should think the same way, if everyone did, the “cool” thing would be doing what you want. That would be nice.

A Thursday sometime ago, I was asked if I wanted to ditch a class to get high with some friends. The five people would have thought I was much “cooler” if I went, but I still denied. I know the future downsides to this, and the present risks involved. I thought about getting caught, and what would happen to me, it could ruin my chance to get a better job than if I didn’t go at all. That is, if it went on my permanent record. I thought about the class I was going to miss, second period, English. I thought abut how we do lots of work there, and how dumb it would be to ditch, seeming how I would have to make it up the following night.

I must say, that day in second period English, I felt good. No, I felt great. I knew I did the right thing, the thing I wanted to do. It turns out them five friends of mine did get caught. Three of the five went to court for possession of marijuana and related substances, I found it to be a great decision on my part. I felt great.

I guess that’s my story of making decisions on solely what you want to do. As I think about it, if I had wanted to go, I would have. I would have gotten caught, but it is better to be caught doing something you wanted to then being caught doing something for other peoples enjoyment. Just do what you want to do, not what other people expect. You need to experience everything in life you can, good and bad. Just don’t forget with both come consequences.