Mindy - Columbus, Ohio
Themes: family, illness, love

Things Happen for a Reason

As a child, I was afraid of my father. I was so timid when he would discipline us. The saying, “It’s my way or the highway,” fits perfectly with my dad. This made it hard for me to tell my dad how I felt about anything. If I didn’t agree with him on things then I was always wrong. Chances are I was wrong; I wasn’t always daddy’s perfect angel. I never felt a bond between my dad and I.

This past Christmas changed all that. It was snowing at the airport. I sat in my seat watching people walk by. Business men dressed in tie and suit and single mothers trying to tame their toddlers. The stewardess came over the intercom with the announcement that our flight was to board. My sister, Melissa and I got out of our seats and boarded the plane. When we landed, I saw my mom’s face light up when we got off the plane. We hadn’t seen our mom since she made the move. On Christmas Day Melissa and I called home to wish a Merry Christmas to our dad. He said it back and to have a fun day on the mountains. My mom packed the car up and we headed for Winter Park to go snow skiing. This was the first time Melissa and I went skiing and we had a blast. Our time ended so quickly with visiting mom and I was sad to leave her.

When we arrived home Melissa and I heard the terrible news. My dad had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. All this time he knew and didn’t tell us. An overwhelming sadness came over me and the thought of losing him was overbearing even though I hadn’t felt very close to him. The surgery came and it was hard to see my dad, the one who was so strict with me and so stern to now see him struck down from his prime. Before he went to surgery he gave me a hug and a kiss. It felt so different from the ones I had received before. He didn’t have to say anything I could tell by the look in his eyes that things were different. The surgery lasted longer than it was supposed to. All I could think about was if he was okay.

I believe things happen for a reason. I believe that my dad and I were given a second chance at our relationship. My dad’s cancer became an eye opener to both of us. When I packed my bags to go back to school my dad began to cry. This was the first time I ever saw him cry. He hugged me and held me as we both sobbed. He told me he was glad that Melissa and I were around during this time because we made everything seem okay and we were very positive that things were going to be okay. I’ve always loved my dad but now I have a bond with him that will last a life time.