Make Your Own Choices

Shanshan - Taiyuan, China

I believe in making choices.

Everyone has a wide range of choices from the instant he or she was born. You may reckon that you cannot choose your genes, your parents, your initial social background or your culture, and so on — that’s for sure! But still, free will, which you would never fail to ignore.

Each single choice you’ve ever made, be it starting a new habit, or to marry someone, was based on your state of mind during that period of your life. Someone may force you to do one thing, two things or several things, but it is absolutely impossible to control the voice of your heart, which leads you to make your own choices.

As a senior college student in China, I’ve been shaped by our educational system, an influential social mindset. During my 12 years of student life, I had to spend a major part of my life to recite countless articles and to memorize enormous so-called useful knowledge, which didn’t interest me. For a long time, I felt that my life did not belong to me, at all. I lived for my parents, my relatives and fulfilled others’ expectations. I could not think there was anything worse.

However, after thoughtful thinking, I have realized that actually, I’ve been being in charge of my life all these years, but I just did not notice this before.

I drew cartoon pictures in many other classes even since when I was eight years old. I maximize each minute of every recreational section to play rubber band skip rope. I did not immerse myself in those boring study stuff, even when my parents and teachers were yelling at me. But for the things, which really fascinated me, I would never spare myself. I could spend a whole afternoon on a single sketch. I could listen to a song, hundreds of times and rehearse it several nights, before I gave the performance.

Those are all my choices. For the unwritten part of my life, I believe that I will still follow my free will and make choices. Sometimes, I feel that there are so many restrictions in life thwarting me in actualizing my potential and carrying out dreams. It is like dancing in shackles. But that is what life is. Be brave! Make your own choices!