Jessica - Larchwood, Iowa

Twirling on Clouds

John Dryden once said, “Dancing is the poetry of the foot” (Quote). We don’t know someone’s personality until they dance but this also brings out the feelings in that person. Dancing is a sport that needs determination, and dedication (Gerund). To dance is to express your feelings or ideas with your body and face. Dancing can be for enjoyment or just to relieve stress.

I believe that all people were put on this world to dance in some way. I take dance classes and I dance for exercise, enjoyment, and fun. I also dance for people, God, and myself. I take many different kinds of dance classes including ballet, jazz, modern, liturgical, pointe, tap, and lyrical. In my ballet classes we must take examines to get through a grade. There are 6 grades and then teaching grades. This type of ballet is called Cecchetti. Dancing takes different kinds of movements and positions that you must achieve. To achieve these positions takes practice. To dance you must practice (Infinitive). I can practice anywhere, in a kitchen, on the driveway, at the grocery store, or when I walk down the road. There are many different terms that go with dancing. Some of them include: plie, relive, glissade and “weebles wobble but they don’t fall down.” Dancers need to have the perfect posture and give no excuses for not working to their level. Dancers will never let anything get in the way of dancing. I believe that if I work hard at something I will be able to achieve my goal. When dancers perform they need to show expression in their face as well as their feet. If a song is slow they should perform how they feel when they hear the song, if the song is fast they should perform as if they are having fun and celebrating a major achievement in their life. I believe that when dancers perform they should perform with their hearts. Dancers should perform as if they were dancing on clouds with no weight and make all the moves look effortless. I believe that when dancers choreograph their own dances they should show their personalities in the dance. Dancing is part of the soul, it can be painful, but in an uplifting way. When a performance is done I believe that all dancers should be able to congratulate themselves on a job well done. “Dance is the hidden language of the soul” Martha Graham.

I believe that dancing is not just for show it is hard work. Many people have told me that they think dancing is the easiest thing to do. One day I will just tell them to go on to pointe shoes until there toes bleed and then tell me how they feel. If feel pain when I am dancing it means that I am making my body stronger and achieving a level higher then I have ever achieved. I believe that dancers need a lot of discipline to stay on track and to learn new things.

There are many different ways dancers can go after there high school age. Some dancers quit and some dancers like me would like to go into college to take dance and then go into a career as a professional dancer. A professional dancer doesn’t get paid a lot but they get to show off their talent and be a role model to every little girl wanting to be a ballerina when they grow up. To get this far in the dancing world you need to have confidence in yourself. If you have confidence you can get further in this career weather it is confidence with you balances or confidence I your turns. “If you think you can, you can. If you think you can’t, your right” Mary Kay Ash.

I believe that dancing includes many elements to make it one beautiful movement. If each dancer works at their own level they can achieve their highest goal if they just believe in themselves. A performing dancers career can be rough but it is very important for all of them to work hard and show off what they can at there performances (Participle). I believe that what shows your personality in dance. This is why I believe this.