Kristy - Iowa City, Iowa
Themes: love

I believe in the institution of marriage. Not the ceremony, the dress, or the tossing of the bouquet, but the necessity behind it. It is the recognition that this other person is a part of you, so much a part of you, that, it’s like they have been there all along and you didn’t even know it. It’s the feeling that this other person understands you and celebrates you for you. As you do the same for them. Most likely, it is not the person you expected to fall in love with. It was the wrong time, or the wrong place, but, it was so palpable and inevitable that you know just what is happening. It is only right to celebrate such an epiphany with your friends and family.

What has amazed me most about my husband since the moment we met has been his ability to see the real me. When I met him, I had just decided to drop out of medical school and had also recently posed for Playboy. I remember my father’s stern words that, no man would be interested in a girl who had been so open and daring about her sexuality. He was right in many ways. I probably seemed insane to most of my peers, but I somehow knew that I was doing the right thing for me. And even more amazingly, Charlie saw that sane part of me too. He celebrated my choices instead of questioning them.

For me, our wedding day was a blurry, joyous day, partly because of copious amounts of champagne but mostly, because we were having the time of our lives. But, I knew then and I know even more so now, that the real celebration and adventure comes later. You acknowledge that you both will change in time, and you can only hope that you are ready for that challenge. I have only just begun this roller-coaster journey and I pay respect to those riding it for many years. Yesterday was our first anniversary and we celebrated in our usual low-key fashion with wine, an old Katherine Hepburn movie, and the knowledge that we had to get up for work at 6am. Being our paper anniversary, he gave me a charcoal sketch that he drew of the two of us. I gave him a case of his favorite wine, in a cardboard paper box, of course.

One of the things that we often say to one another is “We are so lucky”. And, we are, incredibly so. It is a shame that so many people in life never find this. I find it very upsetting that so many people “settle” for someone that they don’t truly love or feel committed to. Forget the wedding dance, the menu with diver sea scallops, and the bridesmaids; this is the day that you celebrate your love for an amazing person, and, more importantly, I believe, the commitment that you make is to share life, and all the ups and downs that it may bring. I believe