Ashley - Virginia Beach, Virginia

Heart Pumping Rhythm: The Power of Music

Music shapes our personalities, our emotions, and our souls. There is a song on the radio for every emotion I’ve ever felt. There are songs that describe my overall character and the person I hope to, one day, be.

I come from a family of musicians. My great grandfather played the guitar, my grandpa plays the saxophone, the keyboard, the bass, and the clarinet, and two of my uncles play the drums. I am the first female musician in our family, and I play the viola. For as far back as I can remember I have had music running through my veins, pumping my heart, and having complete control over my vocal chords and my limbs. Music gives me energy and feeds my spirit.

Music has the ability to bring people together. Music may also help people realize things about themselves that had been overlooked. The rhythm and harmony of instruments working together to create a piece of music is a wondrous form of art.

What song will you dance to at your wedding? What feeling do you get when you hear that song on the radio? Does that song give you butterflies in the pit of your stomach? Do the lyrics bring tears to your eyes? My fiancé and I chose a song for our wedding that describes the strength of our bond and the trials we’ve overcome. The song brings endless tears to my eyes, and butterflies are inevitable. I often listen to the song in my car to remind myself of how lucky I am and that, next June, I will marry my very best friend.

I have also considered the songs I would like played at my funeral. Some people may consider that morbid, but I know it is a part of life and I have come to accept that. And the impression I leave with people as they hear the song that I have chose, means a lot to me. I want people to smile and recall fond memories. The songs chosen for these events can tell people a lot about who you are. Imagine the sentiment behind those songs. Imagine the passion.

Kudos to the musicians and songwriters of today, yesterday and tomorrow. No matter what genre music falls into, I admire the dedication and the talent each genre encompasses. I am in awe of a musician’s skill to make countless numbers of people feel a certain passion that comes only from the lyrics of a song, the vibration of strings, the hum of a wind instrument, and the keys of a piano. The power of music is never-ending; what song does your soul sing?