Jennifer - Dearborn, Michigan

I believe it is unconscionable to rejoice in the misfortunes of others. When I see people celebrating the demise of another person it hurts my soul. I realize I am often times in a minority when it comes to these situations. When so called, bad, or evil, people come to their demise. I believe each person has value. I believe each person deserves respect. I also believe in justice. I believe justice carried out in a respectful manner, and for others to treat it as such, is a right all people deserve. Regardless of the atrocities people commit, I believe it would be atrocious for me to applaud when the hangman tightens their noose on the condemned. I credit my family for raising me to see each person as someone special, to always value people, all people, period. My mother would often bring this up when she saw my siblings and I leaning toward public opinion towards those whose misfortunes were exploited, whether brought upon themselves, or no. Even the bullies at school I felt I would relish to see get what I thought they deserved changed when I realized wishing harm upon them would make me just as bad as I believed them to be. I believe that even those people who do not value others, are never the less still valuable themselves. I believe feelings, at times, can get the better of us. Feelings are not always true. What I may feel about a person, may indeed be very untrue. I believe that to be lead by feelings, does not mean we will always be lead by the truth. I recall many times I have seen people celebrating the downfall of a person they hated, someone who may have hurt them. They cheer, they shout, they’re happy this person will be hurting, will get what they think this person deserves, and that it will thus make them feel better. I look inside myself and I can find sympathetic feelings related to their reactions. However, I believe it just and true to turn my feelings toward the foundation beliefs I’ve held since a child to value all human life regardless of how I feel.