Katherin - Osceola, Arkansas

How You Play the Game is What Matters

If everybody in the world were given one million dollars, would he or she

be rich tomorrow? In my opinion, there would be the few who are rich, but several who

end up broke. It would be because they don’t know how to manage their money. I

believe that Josh Billings quote, “Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing

those you hold well,” means that anything one possesses is not useful unless one knows

how to use it correctly. For instance, if a farmer bought an enormous amount of land, but

didn’t know how to make the best use out of the land he bought, then he wasted his

money. He had this huge amount of land to take advantage of, but he didn’t know the

best way to go about the situation. It does not just apply for money, but also for

occupations, objects, power, and for many more factors in life.

One of my friends’ dads received a promotion to manager of his corporation

this month. He was an extremely lucky individual to get this position, but he didn’t do

his job well. He got to caught up in the fact that he was manager that he didn’t put

enough effort into it, which led him to get fired. He ended up in a worse position than he

was before the promotion. Life throws so many outstanding opportunities out, but few

people know exactly what to do with them.

There are numerous things that I buy or that are given to me all of the time

that I don’t know how to use well. When I got my first phone, I didn’t know

how to take care of it or use it properly. It ended up getting broken within two

weeks. I got something that was worth a lot, but then I didn’t think about how to

correctly take care of it before hand, and I ended up with nothing in the end. There

is always a way to correctly do something and to do it well.

Power has major effects on an individual. Power is power in itself. When one

individual contains so much power, like Adolf Hitler, it takes over the way they think.

Hitler began to see what he could do in his position, but he started to use it in a negative

way. He had a humungous amount of control over thousands of people, and he didn’t use

it well. There are several instances when one person gets in a position of authority and

doesn’t know how to use it for the betterment of the world.

Billings’ quote has made me truly think about how I am using things. Am I

managing my money wisely? Am I using my possessions well? Am I using my authority

to positively affect my peers? All of these questions come into play when I try to analyze

the quote. It leaves me wondering about all of the things that could be different in my

life.