jamie - cincinnati, Ohio

I am a student at Oakhills highschool in Cincinnati Ohio. In the majority of my classes I see kids being lazy and doing enough to just pass by. They don’t try hard at all. To me they are wasting their lives.

Over the past summer I was shot in the eye with a paintball gun. I was on complete bed-rest for over 3 weeks. I am a 3 sport high school athlete, so to me this was devastating. I didn’t know whether I would ever again be able to see out of my right eye. Though this was undoubtedly the scariest moment in my life, it taught me something very important.

I was eventually able to see again after around 3 weeks of bed-rest and doctors visits. It was strange though, all I could think about was getting back on the football field. I knew it was going to be hard, but it was deffinitly what I wanted to do.

Getting shot in the eye taught me that in life nothing comes easy. You have to work hard for everything you want. There is always a fork in the road no matter if it’s getting shot in the eye or something as little as getting a bad grade in school. The only thing that matters is how hard you work in response to bad things that happen in your life. I knew getting back in shape and rejoining the team was going to take a lot of hard work, but it’s truly what I wanted.

Football is a tough game and I knew I had worked hard all off season. I wasn’t going to let my hopes of playing go. I worked as hard as I could everyday in the weight room and in practice to regain my confidence. Eventually my first game arrived. We were playing our rival, the Elder panthers. I knew I had given my everything and I was rewarded by starting, and playing the rest of the season safely.

From the moment I recovered I promised myself I would give my full effort in everything I do. This is why when I see kids slacking in school it upsets me. They have the opportunity to do great things, as does everyone. Everyone was given the gift of life and opportunity to succeed so if they work hard anything is possible.

I was thinking the other day that if everyone in the world would work as hard as they could to be good people, it’d be a much better place. If people would work hard in life they wouldn’t have to make bad decisions. A lot of good people end up in jail by cheating. If you work hard anything is possible.

I don’t yet know what my purpose on earth is. I know that I’m going to work as hard as I can and never give up though. As for others, I just hope they follow my example.