Dora - cincinnati, Ohio

I believe that the source of all evil comes from people being alone and having no one who understands them. When you’re alone, you’re miserable; people want something more miserable than themselves to feel better. So to make others more miserable people do things to hurt others.

Lately I’ve wondered why and where people got this idea that someone can be pure evil. I believe it’s not possible. I may have a John Locke complex, but if you think people are born naturally good, then to be evil something bad must have happened later on. Why be evil for no reason? I don’t get it.

I know some people will say that I am wrong and that the devil is the source of all evil but that doesn’t make sense to me. You just can’t be evil for no reason. No matter how sick and twisted some people are, they always have a reason to support it from their past. If they don’t, then they’re crazy or mindless, and they need help and should be pitied. If you believe someone can’t be pure evil, then they must still have a little bit of good in them then, from before. So the devil, from a logical view must be either be crazy and need to be helped and pitied for not knowing right and wrong; or cannot exist at all, since no one can be pure evil. Then if the devil doesn’t exist, he can’t be the reason for why there is evil.

So being alone (or left-out) is the source of evil because when you don’t have anybody who understands you, then no one truly loves you then. If no one truly loves you, then you have no life worth living. So the people who, sadly, have never experienced real love, do horrible things to other people’s happiness to make themselves feel better. This doesn’t make the people evil, they should be pitied; the fact that they are alone and no one took time to help them is evil.

Some people say that mindlessness and not thinking are the source of evil but I believe they are after-effects from being alone. Not-thinking is an effect from being alone since you aren’t considerate of others because no one was considerate to you. Mindlessness is not caring at all, but going on John Locke’s theory on being good, everyone was born to care. So mindlessness can’t be source of all evil.

So, since being alone is the source of all evil, I wish that everyone would have someone who understands them. If people didn’t exclude others we wouldn’t have evil. So for everyone who has someone who cares about them, I hope you know how blessed you really are.