M. Lystra - Decatur, Georgia

Looking back I still see a vision of the byway through which I have been painstakingly traveling. It is paved with vivid detail of the struggles and fear of uncertainties. At certain junctions joy was clearly visible but never lasting; at other junctions heartache entered and seems to linger a bit longer than joy. Alas! I have reached the open byways; there, DESTINY greeted me. I have embraced him, now together; we will continue this arduous journey with the confidence that ahead the “GOOD LIFE” awaits to embrace us; I believe we live our destiny always.

My birth though not miraculous, wise men came not bearing gifts, but just as marvelous, I believe I am loved by God the same. I was born in poverty, but yet had the riches and virtues of royalties. My father, a financially poor, but humble man, was the wind beneath my wings; he was as wise as he was poor. My mother was like clear bonding adhesive, not visible but strong. She maintained her strength in keeping the family unit together. Today, my four children and my three grandchildren are loved unconditionally; I believe we find solace in love.

Hope and Faith

I believe the virtue of hope is a logical one, all the things we hope for we can envision. On the other hand, faith has no logic; it stands independent but provides solace for its patrons. I am not religious by any means, but I am, extremely spiritual. It was faith that enabled me to heed God’s guidance and return to school at the age of 46. Now six years later I am entering a graduate program at Capella University. I believe Faith is a requisite for perseverance; I believe without hope and faith there can never be joy.

I am now with great conviction on this journey with DESTINY, casting aside all prior restraints that have been placed upon me by self or others. I hold no malice for those who cause me pain. God has granted me the wisdom to know and believe that the magnitude of achievement solely lies within the realm of my own ability to persevere. I believe with DESTINY as my guide, the capability to LOVE in our hearts, our HOPE for better tomorrows, FAITH as our assurance, and PERSEVERANCE as our propellant, with DESTINY I will SUCCEED; I believe survival awakes perseverance that lays dormant within us.

Mary McLeod Bethune said in her last will and testament, “Faith in God is the greatest power, but great, to, is faith in oneself.”