Kiara - cincinnati, Ohio
Themes: family, illness

Family is Important

I believe that a family is one of the most important things that a person can posses. Everyone needs a family, it’s what teaches you how to be a person and what’s right from wrong. If there is anyone that you can ever count on it’s your family. What is a family? Someone might ask. I think that a family is a person or people that may or not be related that loves each other, and is always there for one another. No matter what, through thick and thin. And they all help take care of each other. That is my definition, but others may think different, and that’s ok. It’s just what I believe.

My family has always been pretty close. We all live in the same area and we call each other on a regular basis. For as long as I can remember they have always supported and been there for everyone. Of course we have our ups and downs and were not perfect. No body is perfect, and my family doesn’t try to be. About five years ago my grandma learned that she had diabetes. It was such a shock and none of us wanted to believe it. It affected the whole family. My grandma thought her life was over. She couldn’t believe it. And I can remember her crying when she first found out and told us. We didn’t know what we could do; I mean what could we do? Nothing but be supportive and help her through this tough time. She was really upset but she knew that we were there for her and that we would always be. She decided that she was going to fight this disease, even though there is no cure. It was not going to get the best of her and destroy the rest of her life. My aunt Kim got on the internet and started to try to find all that she could about diabetes. And fortunately she found some helpful health tips that would help my grandma stay healthy. Without her we probably wouldn’t have found out so much about the disease. It just didn’t have an affect on my grandma. It had an affect on us all. We were so close that is sort of spread to every one of us. When a family member gets sick or injured it just doesn’t stay with that person, it goes to everyone that that person is related to. And that person will need all the love and support they can get. That’s why it’s important to be there. And this is what I believe.