Alex - Owings Mills, Maryland
Themes: work

This I Believe …

I believe in working hard. Working hard maybe unpleasant now but it helps in the long run. When I was younger I never worried about the future, and I didn’t take my education seriously, I didn’t that how well people do in school shapes their whole future.

When I went to middle school, I was lazy. I got C’s in English and Math, and when I got in trouble and did better the next semester. After a couple of months I got lazy and my grades dropped once again. The problem is that parents and teachers and anyone else can tell students that they have to do better or just punish them but for students to constantly work hard, they’re the ones who must decide that they want to. Soon after receiving these bad grades I looked at colleges and thought about what I wanted to do when I grew up, and then it clicked. I understood that by not doing my best now I’m only hurting myself, no one can go to school for me and by doing badly in school I was closing doors in my future, I was losing opportunities.

I have now learned to apply this to many aspects of my life. In soccer I know the game isn’t on my shoulders, and losing is not the end of the world but I still do my best because there’s no reason not to try. I’ve possibly worked my hardest at my old job. I cooked at a snack bar over the summer. I didn’t need the money and I didn’t need to put in much effort but when we had a long line of orders, I did my best to cook them all to perfection. Once I started doing my best, I started to take pride in what I did. Even though I was only making burgers and it was way to hot over that grill I was still happy doing my best. Schoolwork is most important now with college only a few years away, and even though I don’t expect to an amazing school I do want to attend a good university.

I thank my dad for sitting me down and explaining that I needed to work harder but I thank myself for choosing to listen. This isn’t something that only I can do. Anyone who is struggling just needs to try to get into the state of mind to try their best. Life has been better since I started working hard.