Victor - Cincinnati, Ohio
Themes: change, death

Death in the Family isn’t always as bad as people think.

I believe that death of someone you are close to changes everybody’s life in some way or another. It changed me with the death of my grandfather. It is one of those things that everyone has to go through in life, and it is natural, which is a reason why it must be accepted by people, sometimes is not. Everything in my life changed as soon as my grandfather passed away. It changed the way I acted towards people, my attitude, respect, feelings towards death, and many other things. It was a hard day in my life, but it also made me who I am.

It was a hard day as I said, but it was a wake up call for many things. It was a day in my life that I remember every detail to, and in a way I am glad I do. This day drove me to what I believe because things like this seem to get people thinking, which can be a good thing and a bad thing. In a way, I think it was a good thing for me, except for the fact that I lost my grandfather. I believe that many people do not know how to deal with death, and some people deal with it completely wrong. I believe that those people should deal with things better.

I was sitting in my house, waiting for my parents to pick me up. It was July and I was just enjoying the summer. I was going to go see my grandfather who I have not seen in about a week, then I got a call. It was my mom, she was upset so I could not tell what she was saying. She picked me up and we went there. I saw my grandfather and all my other family, and it was tough. My grandmother was the most upset, which is easy to understand why. I was the youngest one there, and I am also named after my grandfather, therefore it was really tough on me as well.

All my life my grandfather was basically sick, and it took thirteen years for him to finally pass. In a way I am glad he did not have to suffer, but I also miss my grandfather. This was a day that completely changed my personality, tested me, and made me who I am. It basically just made me do a lot of thinking, that thirteen year olds usually do not do, but the time for me came to think. I believe that people do not do enough thinking when disaster strikes their family, they just do not think, that is why people deal with things wrong, and that is why some people can not deal with problems.