Grant - Cincinnati, Ohio

To Toss a Rope

I believe in respectful and friendly to all people. While this can mean many different things, to me, it means giving everyone I meet a friendly smile, a wave of the hand, and the occasional “hello” if it’s not in the middle of my third bell Biology teacher’s lecture. This also can mean giving friendly advice and encouragement when needed. Lastly and most importantly, it means to get to know people before you judge them This is especially important to me because I go to a very big school and one seldom gets to know everyone in the school but I’m pretty close. When I was a freshman and I walked into the school for the first day of classes, I was stunned. It was an amazing school and still is. I always looked up to the seniors and saw them as superstars like Bruce Willis or Jim Carry and honored the time I was within their presence and of course respected them with enormous gratitude. Being a singer myself now and then, I particularly looked up to a group of people called the Varsity Singers. They were named so for a reason. I didn’t discover that reason until I came to my best friend’s first high school orchestra concert. When they first came out, I was getting ready to stare at the ceiling because I was used to the typical middle school singing. When they started singing, I immediately flung my attention back to the stage and stared in wonder as I heard the most beautiful sound that I’d ever heard. From that point on I looked up to the varsity singers as something I could only ever dream to be. One year later, I’m where I never thought I’d be: a member of the Varsity Singers. At first I could only bask in the glory of what I’d accomplished and feel as if there had to be a mistake. Eventually I got over the shock, used to the concept, and I realized I was in a position of power. I was no longer a freshman which meant that I had kids looking up to me now. I had of course been a freshman once and so I knew how to think like a freshman. Because of that, I know to always be friendly, and helpful with the freshmen. I also make sure to get to know people before I decide to hate them also from personal experience. When I was in elementary school, I admit I was a little obnoxious but by the time 7th and 8th grade came around and I had improved myself, people still hated me. Just thinking back to the pain I felt of being hated by most of the school keeps me from hating anyone no matter how annoying, nerdy, or weird they are. By sticking to this belief, I have made more friends than I ever thought I’d have. And this I believe