Meghan - Cincinnati, Ohio

I like to believe that I live my life through the quote, “Be kind to everyone you meet, for they may be fighting a battle you know nothing about.” Ever since I met Heather, a good friend of mine, I have realized that there are bigger problems than what I’m going to do this Friday night. When Heather was seven years old, she was diagnosed with an adult cancer that was rarely ever found in children called, Lymphoblastic Non-Hodgkins. Due to the conditions her cancer brought she was forced to miss a large period of school and she even lost all of her hair. However, at this point I had never met Heather until she was ten years old. We were dancing on the same dance team, and I was unaware of her cancer. She appeared completely normal to me. I would have never suspected that she was going through something that most 10 year olds never have to face. Two years later Heather found out she was cured from her cancer! She held on strong for five years and made it through which in my opinion makes her one of the strongest people I know.

The point I’m trying to make from Heathers story is that there are people in battles just like Heather that we are unaware of. Since we are human, we are blinded when we first meet a person. We don’t automatically know that someone has aids, is being abused by their parent, or that they may have self-esteem issues. It is not our fault that we just don’t know these things, but since we don’t know we can give everyone the same respect we would want them to give back to us. When I meet someone, I try to treat them with every bit of kindness I can find in my heart. If I am rude to someone or make them feel as if they are not as important, I am certainly not going to make their life any easier if they are already having to deal with something dramatically inflicting on their life. Therefore, I do my best each and every day treating each person I meet with kindness and respect.