Ashley - Cincinnati, Ohio

If anything, do it with confidence.

We walked onto the floor, my heart was pounding, palms were sweating. The crowd had never been so loud. The music started to play and my stomach dropped. But then not only does the adrenaline start to flow, but confidence over powers me. I love the feeling of dancing my heart out with my head up high and it always puts a huge smile across my face=]. Confidence, it’s all you need in life. My first story just happened to relate to dance, but as cheesy as it sounds, confidence is everywhere, everyday. When I get dressed in the morning, when I answer a question in class. I couldn’t do those things or get through the day without confidence.

In middle school I was on the debate team. I do remember my very first debate, I was extremely nervous. At the very beginning of the debate we were introducing ourselves, and I’m thinking to myself, I can’t mess this up. Boy was I wrong. “Ashley Con Animal Cloning”. See the funny thing wasn’t even the title of my debate. My debate was on animal testing, and I was pro. Right after I said it and my teacher started laughing, I realized what happened and started to laugh at myself. Then the whole audience laughed because they knew I was wrong. It definitely “broke the ice”. If you’re not confident enough to laugh at yourself, I don’t know how your life is going to go. If I hadn’t been confident in that situation I probably would have ran out of the room crying! But instead of being mortified it turned out to be a joke at every debate from then on.

Being confident is not only about laughing at yourself. It’s about the way you carry yourself. It’s how you know how to hold your head up high without sticking your nose up in the air. Confidence is all about finding the perfect balance in between being conceited and completely modest or shy. Life is full of tests and changes in your confidence. If something embarrassing happens to you it’s a test of your confidence. People want to see your reaction in certain situations so that they know how to react. It’s all about being laughed at or laughed with.

Confidence is definitely what drives my life. I wouldn’t have anything if I wasn’t confident. When I was younger I had to switch elementary schools in first and second grade I already had made my friends, and I didn’t want or think I needed any new ones. Naturally I was very upset at the huge change of switching schools. When I got to my “new” school I was extremely shy. Some of my friends had switched schools with me and I tried to stay close with them. But then I got jealous because they were more outgoing and confident then I was. And they soon began making a lot of new friends. So I started talking to new people, participating more in class and I slowly but surely began to make new friends. Eventually in my 3 years at that school I had made a ton of new friends! I think this was the point in time when I had unintentionally formed my belief in the need for confidence.

Confidence really is the core value you can have. I believe

confidence can answer any question, and can solve any difficult task. Whether it gives you the right or wrong answer is not the matter. It’s not what you answer, it’s how you answer.