kellie - cincinnati, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem, death

What would you do if you found out you or someone you knew could die tomorrow? It is a feeling I hope you never, but probably will have to go through. When I was in the 8th grade I learned a great life lesson from a horrible event. I learned to always live your life to the fullest. I know everyone always says this, and you just sort of brush it off, but it truly is a good philosophy to base your life upon.

As I was saying before, when I was in the 8th grade I had to overcome a really hard time in my life. I found out that one of my friends, that I’d known since I was a toddler, had just been diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor on his stem cell, and that it was inoperable. He went through several months of chemotherapy and radiation and had shown a lot of improvement, but then when summer began the treatments stopped working. He died 2 months later, and was only 12 years old.

When you think, 2 months, it seems like a long time, but when you know that’s all the time you have left, it goes by in the blink of an eye. It makes you put life into perspective, and realize what is important in your life. Even though I didn’t personally go through this, being around him while he was trying to overcome his illness still showed me through him and everyone around him that I can’t go through life regretting things I didn’t do or say. People die everyday, and I don’t want to have any regrets or wishes that weren’t fulfilled. You never know when it will be your time to die, and I don’t know about you, but I want to do everything I have ever dreamed about doing. That’s why from now until the day that I die I will always take risks, and never hold back. There isn’t enough time in this world for us to hesitate about the important things in life, so take chances, be spontaneous, and don’t be afraid to live. Life isn’t as long as it appears to be, and the end could be sooner then you think.