Julia - Cincinnati, Ohio

The Good In Everyone

I am a strong believer that there is good in everyone. This came to me during a jail visit to the county jail. I previously had stereotyped all criminals as being heartless and cruel. I thought that since they were in jail, they must be horrible people and be full of evil. I soon realized that these criminals were simply lacking one of the many necessities of life, whether it is a mother, a father, or simply support. I see these patterns in many troubled people today. They are not malicious beings at all; they need the care that other humans have deprived them of.

These inmates were not missing heart; they were missing a use for it. If only someone would have been there for them to talk to, maybe they would be outside of the bars. It came to me that people are not naturally evil; they just have to turn to something for attention. If they are being ignored or neglected, they need to do something to feel accepted, to be noticed and cared about, even if that means in a negative way.

It is clear to me now that everyone has good in them, but it takes love to make the quality show through. In other words, the heart is the outlet to the goodness. I saw it in the inmates that day, and I can recognize it today. I believe that if we could all be more accepting and caring, these people would have no reason to turn to crime for attention and the world would be a much better place. Love has an amazing healing power that every human being needs to experience to function properly and think rationally.

There is virtue in everyone and finding it within oneself means opening the door for love from both others and yourself. I agree that you have to love yourself before others can love you. Allowing the love of others is giving them a chance to find the good in you and maybe even discover the good within their self. I believe that the good in everyone can be attained through love and support of one another. If a person cannot find the good in themselves, they obviously need the love and care of someone who can help bring it out. Seeing the good in these inmates made me feel better about my self knowing that the world is not evil and people shouldn’t be judged based on one past time. If I can realize the good in a person that has committed a felony, we can realize the good in anyone and everyone.