Eric - Cincinnati, Ohio

The End Result Is All That Matters

I believe that it does not matter what I can do, or what I am capable of doing, it only matters what I do. By this I mean that the only thing that goes into the history books and the only thing that is ever remembered by anyone is the end result, and nothing else matters. It doesn’t matter that Johnny spent twice as much effort playing basketball than Jimmy, it only matters that Jimmy made it to the NBA and Johnny did not. Sure this is not fair, but I further believe that it is the responsibility of the individual to do whatever is necessary to produce the best possible result in any given situation. If the person does not fulfill this responsibility, the result will be a lack of pride and respect for him or herself, and without pride or respect, one becomes jealous. Furthermore, jealousy sparks many negative emotions, causing negative reactions and so forth. In order to cure this jealousy, one must respect the person they are jealous of, because by doing so they are less likely to make excuses and more likely to try harder next time. By trying harder next time, they are more likely to produce the best possible result, and therefore less likely to feel any jealousy or negative emotions toward anyone else. Therefore, they are a better person, which proves the best possible result notion that I previously stated.

Throughout my school career, there has always been one perfect example of this that has inspired me to write about this topic. I am in all level one classes in high school, and I have earned straight As every year and am very proud of what I have accomplished. However, there have always been people who, instead of respecting the fact that I have better grades than them, have just made excuses to why their grades aren’t equal to mine. “I would get straight As in all level one classes, but I’m just too lazy to actually do it,” is the excuse that comes up the most frequently, and is also the excuse that makes me the angriest. They have no right to tell me that they can accomplish the same thing that I have because they have not fulfilled their responsibility of producing the best possible result. They fail to see the fact that the end result is the only thing that matters, and they fail to recognize the jealousy that is spewing out of their mouth, masked by excuses. I take consolation in the knowledge that one day I will get a scholarship to college and have more options available to me than the other person, and will be more successful than them. Only then will they realize the truth behind my words, but by then it will be too late. So basically, as long as you always give it your all and do the best you can, you will not be let down. That is what I believe.