Carla - Kenner, Louisiana
Themes: love

My Beliefs

Eight years ago, I met the person who would be my husband. We were both coming out of bad relationships and our sisters thought they should “fix us up.” I did not want any part of it. I was at my sister’s house to spend the night, along with Cindy. I occasionally slept over at my sister’s house when her husband was out of town. Because I was staying over, I had already settled down for bed. Then there was a knock at the door. Brad was standing there in a blue and white striped shirt that fit perfectly. I noticed his hazel eyes as soon as I opened the door. His dark wavy hair was tousled from the wind, and I had never met anyone more breathtaking.

Brad and I ended up dating for several months, and I fell madly in love with him. He did not feel the same way. He was not ready for a commitment. We stayed friends and dated off and on for another year. I had a great job offer in Pennsylvania and moved away for the next four years. Before I left, I told him that he would realize that he really did love me and that it would be too late.

While I was living in Pennsylvania, he did realize his love for me, but I was in another relationship. I knew that Brad was the one for me. When my current boyfriend wanted to move to Florida, I realized that it was time to follow my heart. I moved back home to New Orleans.

We dated for seven months before Brad asked me to marry him. I had picked my dress the January before. I was a bridesmaid in my best friend’s wedding, and while we were trying on dresses, I saw the dress that I knew I would wear one day. My dress was off white with crimson around the bottom and Austrian Crystals beaded the left side. It was a strapless dress and at the top, it also had a small v-shape, which was crimson in color. I did not even have to look at any other dresses.

My wedding day, August 27, 2005, is a day that I will never forget. I waited for this day for so long. When it had finally arrived, I thought that it was not going to happen. Hurricane Katrina was on her way to New Orleans as a Category Five. Most of my guests were evacuating. I called the minister, The Carrollton, which is where I had scheduled both my wedding and reception, and my attendants to see if my wedding was still on. Because it was an evening wedding and everyone was being told to evacuate, I was especially worried. Because New Orleans had already started closing most of their flights, we flew out of Jackson in order to make our honeymoon.

My wedding, despite Hurricane Katrina, turned out to be beautiful. I knew early in the relationship that I loved my husband, but it took him a little longer to recognize his feelings. I believe if two people love each other, even if it means letting go, and can have faith in each other and in God those two people will end up together.