Jacob - cincinnati, Ohio

Respect everyone and treat them how you want to be treated.

I believe that people should treat other people with respect. Everyone wants to be treated nicely, and there is no reason not to. It all relates to the saying “Treat others as you want to be treated”

Growing up, I would make fun of other people, because they were different than me. I would call them names, and talk badly about them to other people, who made fun of them also. Then one day, an experience I had changed my view on making fun of people for the rest of my life.

It was a normal school day, and I was going to my classes, like my normal routine. I realized that several kids were making fun of someone. They called him short and stupid, and many other mean and hurtful things. They also shoved and hit him as well. He was just different than everyone else, and no one got a chance to know him and understand him. As I looked at the scene that unfolded, I realized the mistakes I had made. I realized how cruel and evil people can be to each other. That day I talked to the kid who was made fun of and hit, and got to know him better. I learned that he was a new student from out of town, who didn’t know anyone in the school. I introduced him to my friends, and he began to make some friends in the school.

The point I am trying to make is that some day this person could be you. How would it make you feel to be made fun of because you are different? I know for sure that it wouldn’t make me feel good. I now think before I act, and say to myself, “what if that was you?” You should treat other people the way you want to be treated, so they will treat you the way you want to be treated. If everyone just took a moment to get to know each other, we wouldn’t be hurting each other’s feelings and we might all get along. This is why I believe that everyone should treat each other with respect and kindness.