Holly - Beavercreek, Ohio

I Believe Essay

Love: unselfish, loyal, and benevolent concern for the good of another. This wasn’t the first, second, or third definition that I found for this word, but I believe it is the most important one. Like the song many have heard by The Blessed Union of Souls, I believe that love is the answer. I believe that everyone can find love in the most unpredictable places. I believe that even the most hateful person has a drop of love somewhere in there heart. “They need somethin to rely on; they get high on all types of drugs. When, all you really need is love.” This is a lyric from the song “Get By” by Talib Kweli and a personal favorite line. He is saying that so many people try and rely outside occurrences and substances to try and make them happy, that they forget the things that are right in front of them.

Over this past summer, I really started to get into reggae music. I listened to a variety of different artists, but none struck me more than Bob Marley. Bob Marley’s message is essentially “Peace, Love, and Harmony” and whatever happens in your life, you have the ability to decide how it will affect you. Marley adopted the concept of “One Love” and took it to a whole other level. The concept of “One Love” is that everyone can get together, care for each other, look out for each other, and have overall love and respect for society as a whole. The theory that if one person could pass this logic on to another, then the idea would branch out among society all over the world. Bob Marley was also a firm believer in being in control of your own happiness. One quote that I believe best sums this principle up is “Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.”

I feel as though people control their own destiny. You can either choose to be happy or you can choose to be miserable. Don’t let other’s negativity get in the way of your bliss. Fighting solves nothing. At the end of a brutal battle between people, the only thing you have solved is that you and whomever you were fighting with can’t be mature enough to settle things with words. I believe that a human isn’t measured by physical strength, but mental wit. If you understand what I am trying to say, you will know that I am not blinded by the idea of utopia, but that I am simply trying to view myself, others, and the world in a better light. I try not to judge people, or speak harmful words towards others. By calling someone “ugly” or “gross” or something even cruder, can really hurt them, even though they won’t show it. I believe that the term ugly is defined by the person who uses it. However, in my eyes, slander is never acceptable.

My beliefs might not be the same as others, and I’m ok with that. I live my life the exact way I want to live it. When things happen that mess me up or that fracture my life in some way, I overcome it not because it magically happens, but because I have a positive outlook on. Call me an optimist, but I am a free spirit who can truly see the beauty in anything. I believe that no matter what happens in one’s life that love will justly lead the way and keep you afloat. Surround yourself with love. Be with people who love you and who you love in return. Don’t encircle yourself with hate and spite, for it will get you nowhere but alone and insufferable. I believe that the human heart was made for many things, but lack of love isn’t one of them.