Alex - Cincinnati, Ohio

What is money, really?

What drives people to live their lives the way they do? Many people in the world that we live in today spend their entire live in search of one thing. “Money”. Life isn’t about doing good deeds or helping others anymore. Peoples lives are miserable because they do not have money. I am not talking about homeless people, I am talking about people who have money and want more. Those people will do anything to get more money.

I believe that our lives should be more than about money. Our lives should be about enjoying what we have, being fortunate and grateful. People should enjoy their lives by taking times to look at the better things. Simple things should be enough to make people happy, such as a warm summer day, and a beautiful sunset. But often these things go unnoticed in a persons pursuit of wealth.

Happiness comes from many sources other than money. For some people, happiness comes from a smile on a child’s face. Family is one of my main sources of joy. Just observing nature one can change their whole outlook on life. A believe in a God or a higher power can bring about peace. The saying “Money can’t buy happiness” is true for me. Although many people believe that money brings ultimate happiness, what they have to do to get money may cause them to be unhappy with themselves.

I believe people try to get money to gain respect of fellow persons. Respect should be about who the person is not what they have. Ever person should be respected regardless if they are rich or poor, ugly or beautiful, intelligent or illiterate. It doesn’t matter what kind of car you drive or what house you live in, you are entitled to respect.

I believe that family is one of the most important things of life. Without family where would you be? Money is a poison which can ruin families. Even the best of families can be destroyed by a surplus or a need of money. I know without my family, I would be lost.

What money really is, is a reason for people to do anything to succeed. In today’s world money is a measure of power and success. Many people believe money is their measure of happiness. Money is not a bad thing, but it can not be your main focus in life. This I believe.