sean - cincinnati, Ohio

Trees are people too

The United States is well known for its individuality of the world. We have always done things different from Europe primarily. Even though many different things we do are better, but I believe that we the people and the community should do things alike in some ways.

My trip to London is how I have come to realize such things. It seems to me that ecology is very important there. London has an enormous amount of parks that are maintained at a much higher standard compared to the United States. When it comes to power lines, trees are not involved in between. The clearing of branches to make way of power lines doesn’t exist in Great Britain. They have many city trees, but with no power lines in the way of them. They can have so many trees because of the sycamore which is a very strong and durable tree. Out farther away from the city where everything is spread out, they use power lines, but keep trees far away from them.

The main issue I am bringing up is about the butchering, beheading and topping of trees, which is extremely ugly to trees, just to clear them away from power lines. This is extremely unnecessary for so many reasons.

In the beginning, why did people plant trees under power lines in the first place? If trees are to be planted under power lines, then they should be known to be small dwarfed species. As for the extremely large trees that grow under or next to power lines, they should be removed instead of being topped. Cutting the tree down is important because when it is cut in half from the side, it loses its taper, which will make the tree have higher chance of failure in a thunder storm or high winds. It would be a good idea to just take the extra time and take the tree down. Then plant a new tree that is dwarfed or farther away form the power lines, so these problems don’t happen again.

To most people this is an issue of no importance. But I believe that the two most important things on this planet are trees and people. It is terrible simple to just plant the trees farther away from power lines instead of topping them in the future. I believe that someday trees can be looked upon by people as a work of art and not just an object that’s in the way.