Eric - cincinnati, Ohio

“This I Believe”

Hard Work Pays Off

I believe that hard work can make a person great. I learned this lesson just about three years ago when I was starting my first job. I was excited to start my first year as a golf caddy at the Western Hills Country Club. The thing I was most interested in was the money. I had always thought that it was the only thing that mattered in picking a career. I thought that my mom was crazy for being a teacher because they did not earn a substantial amount of money.

After my first year of being a caddy I started to reflect on myself. I had learned a lot and I enjoyed doing it. Golf at the time was my favorite sport. I was still learning the game and was very interested to hear the golfers knowledge of it. I kept up my hard work and it really payed off in more ways than I thought possible. I had made enough money to buy some things. The money didn’t matter to me though. It was the thought that I had worked hard and learned a most important life lesson.

Previous to my first job I was landscaping at my grandfather’s office complex. I didn’t like the work but I kept doing it because I wanted to help out my grandfather. Its important to do the things you like because if you like them you’ll work harder and chances are you’re good at it. In school, I’m not the smartest person in the class. I take the harder classes to challenge myself. I do better in the classes I like because they interest me more. I still have to grunt through the more uninteresting subjects but in life you have to go through the sun and the rain, the good and the bad. I work hard in my classes and I proved to myself that it isn’t always the most intelligent people who are able to be successful. It’s the people that work the hardest.

You have to do what you like and work hard doing it. I’m not going to say that money does not matter at all because it does. You have to support your family. If you love your family and take pride in your work then you will go far. Take pride in your work and know that it makes a difference. Whatever I do in life I will work hard and work to the best of my abilities. I’ve learned this lesson and I hope everyone does. Always remember that hard work will pay off in more ways than you can imagine.