kelsi - cincinnati, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem, death

Sometimes You Don’t Get Second Chances

In November of 2004 my grandpa Guido was put in the hospital after being in the nursing home for four years after he had a stroke. We were told that he didn’t have a lot of time left. Everyone in my family went to see him, but I didn’t go. Every time my parents would go to the hospital I would make up an excuse. I would say that I didn’t feel good, or that I had too much homework. I kept thinking that I would have another chance to see him. I was too afraid of what I might do. I didn’t want to see my grandpa, with whom I was so close, lay dying in a hospital bed. I didn’t want to see him in pain. Then one Saturday morning I heard my mom on the phone. My grandpa had died. I never got another chance to see him. I was so mad at myself for not going to see him.

After his funeral my family got really close. We relied on each other for help and support. It was then that I realized that sometimes you don’t get second chances. Sometimes you don’t get another chance to say what you need to say, or do what you need to do. I learned from that experience when I was faced with another situation. My grandpa Jimmy was in the hospital after a stroke. Instead of staying home I went to see him in the hospital. I was glad that I didn’t make that same mistake again, even though it hurt me to see him there. I got to say goodbye before he died.

My belief in life is that you don’t always get second chances. You have to live life to the fullest so that you don’t have regrets. You have to seize the moment, and all its worth. Sometimes you won’t get another chance to say or do want you want to. Maybe if I would have taken that chance to see my grandpa my life would have turned out differently.