Lindsey - cincinnati, Ohio

You were born and individual, don’t die a copy.

By: Lindsey Fleckenstein

I believe that everyone should be their own individual self and not what someone else wants them to be. Individuality is what makes a person who they are. God created us all differently so why try to be a copy of someone else. Being yourself is what sets you apart from other people and that’s what attracts people to you is your differences from everyone else. By being a unique person, your own personal qualities are what makes you special to someone, not by being what you assume they want you to be. I feel like people should love you for who you are, not who or what you are trying to be. A true friend will accept you no matter what and that is what matters to me, to be accepted as me not as what they think I should be. I am me, an individual, not an identical copy of my friends or classmates.

I can relate to this because I remember all through my elementary and middle school years I was trying to be like everyone else. I was always trying to be part of the “in” crowd just so everyone would like me and not think I was weird or different. It took me until high school to realize that I just needed to be my own self. Once I got to high school and I saw how many people stood out because of their individuality, it made me change my ways and want to be my own self. I was created the way I am and I just need to accept it and be happy with myself. Now I am finding out that others like me just the way I am. I feel like I am a much happier person now that I’m not trying to be a mirror image of someone else just so that I can fit in. To fit into society, you just need to be yourself and be true to your friends and family and people will accept you because you are a truly nice person to be around and not a fake. Individuality as a special quality for a teenager like myself, when most people my age think that fitting in is more important then being true to yourself. I feel like I am a much stronger, better person now that I am concentrating on being me instead of concentrating my efforts on pleasing others and trying to fit in.