jason - cincinnati, Ohio

Wise man in the woods

The one thing that I truly, strongly believe in and what shapes my world is to travel to places where I can roam the outdoors. I can not think of anything better to do than to see the whole world and take in all of the cultures and values that come past my way. I would bring a guitar with me, one of my best talents, and just sit in an empty countryside and live the moment. I go on trips with my family but it can’t compare when I am by myself and paying attention to the nature. I go to school and it takes up so much of my time I can never get out into nature and admire the scenery of my woods.

Henry David Thoreau, who just decided to live in the woods for two years, I think that you can only live life to the fullest if you simplify. His most famous quote “I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived”. This quote means so much to me that I can really live by it. He was a very smart man who learned the facts of life in the woods and I wish I can do something like he did in my lifetime.

When I walk out into the woods it feels like I have no problems in the world except to try to not walk on the beaten path. The greatest place I could ever go to is New Zealand where there are tranquil waters, huge amount of wildlife, and a grand old forest where I can piece together all of my thoughts and then maybe put it into writing. I could write the memoirs of my life as a scribe of nature and be thought of a wise old man who lives in the woods.

To receive all of the wisdom I could learn from the great oaks would bring me eternal happiness. As I said my fundamental beliefs in life are to work hard, simplify, and to become a rock god when this nature phase is over with.