Alison - Cincinnati, Ohio

The Best I Can Be

In my lifetime I have learned and started to believe in many things, but I hold one very close to my heart. I believe that everyone has the right to live their own life to the best it can be and they need to take advantage of that right. My cousin, Trevor David Bernard, died on October 28, 1999. He was only eight months old when he died of SIDS, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. The one thing that I hold close to my heart is that I believe everyone should be able to live their lives to the best that it can be. Trevor went down for a nap at the sitters and he never woke up. Trevor never got to have his first birthday. Trevor also never got to live his own life to the fullest extent that it could be because he never got the chance. I will never regret what I have done each day and I will make the best of everything I do. Everyone should live their life to the fullest extent and do everything possible in a day’s time. When we would say that we didn’t want to do something then my Aunt Karen would come out and say Trevor didn’t get to do it either. That’s when I remember that everyone needs to live their own life as you see fit and don’t let other people dominate it. I was only nine when Trevor died and I didn’t really understand this concept until I became older. I will never let anyone make choices for me. I will do what I want to do and I will always be the best that I can be. I will live my life as if each day could be me last. Trevor’s death changed me very much and he will never be forgotten. But it is important to move on and not to live in the past. Three days after the first anniversary of Trevor’s death my mom, my dad, and my sister, Emily, were in a very serious car accident. My grandparents had bought an angel pin for every woman in my family in memory of Trevor. My mom lost her angel pin the night of the accident and I believe that perhaps it was Trevor’s way of telling us that he is safe and that we need to move on and live our lives to the fullest extent. I believe that we should be everything that we can be and that we should never regret something. Trevor’s death not only touched me, but it touched everyone who knew him and their lives have changed for the better. Trevor taught me something that I it will never forget and will always live within me. Live life to its fullest and be the best you can be.