Rebecca - Cincinnati, Ohio
Themes: courage, fear, sports

Facing My Fears…

One thing I have learned throughout the course of my life is to face my fears. This means that I should not be afraid to take risks and step outside my comfort zone. I should not worry about losing or being made fun of. Facing your fears is doing things you would normally be too shy or scared to do. A particular experience that made me realize this belief is when I tried out for my middle school volleyball team.

Before making the step to try out for a sports team, I was a very shy and reserved person. I had played volleyball since the second grade on a recreational team and decided I wanted to see if I could play at a more advanced level. I decided to attend the tryouts in the summer. I worked extra hard on all of the conditioning exercises and got in shape. As the first day of tryouts rolled around I got pretty nervous. I maintained my wit and went to the first session. I did ok and tried my best. By the end of the day I was proud of myself for getting out there and doing something I love. I realized that most of the girls were better at the sport than I was but I didn’t let it get me down. On the second and final day of tryouts I stepped up my game and gave 110%. The coaches were noticing my spirit but they were also noticing that I was lacking the strength needed to master the overhand serve.

At the end of the day they passed out the envelopes containing the results that indicated who made the cut. I went home and tore open that envelope only to discover that I had not made the cut and wouldn’t become a member of the team. I was upset at first but I then realized that there were worse things in life that could have happened. I also realized that I had given it my best effort and that’s all I could expect of myself.

An important lesson I learned was that you will never know the outcome of taking a risk if you don’t go for it. When I step outside the box my self esteem can be boosted and I will be more outgoing. Taking these risks can be beneficial to me later on in life because they can help to make me an overall better person. It will prepare me for things I will experience in the future.