Rebecca - Cincinnati, Ohio

Right to Life Isn’t Really for Everyone

46,000,000 abortions occur a year throughout the world. That’s approximately 126,000 abortions a day. That’s 126,000 people who are gypped out of the right that is guaranteed to every human, the right that John Locke and Abraham Lincoln wrote about, and the right that many people fought for.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness” (Declaration of Independence). All humans have the right to life. What about the people that don’t have that right? The people that get the right to live taken away from them through abortion: taking the lives of innocent people who get cheated the right to live.

“That was the biggest mistake of my life.” That is what my eighteen year old cousin has to live with everyday of her life. Adrianne, my cousin, had been dating this guy for 2 years and thought the he was the “one”. That all changed in January of her junior year when she first learned she was pregnant.

She was not scared when she took the test and it came out positive. She was happy because she was going to have a child with a guy that she thought she loved. Adrianne called her boyfriend to tell him the news. She was disappointed to find out that Andy did not feel the same way she did about having the baby. Andy had a scholarship to play division 1 basketball at a college that was halfway across the country from Adrianne. They had got into a fight and hung up. Adrianne still had to tell her parents the news of her pregnancy. She did not want to because she knew that her parents would strongly disapprove and not support her. She was right too. Adrianne was left with one choice; abortion.

Because her parents did not support her, she had to raise the money for the clinic by herself. She worked everyday, even on weekends, and sold everything she did not necessarily need. She finally got the money she needed when she was 8 weeks along the pregnancy. Adrianne decided to take the option of taking pills. She had to take 4 pills at the doctor’s office, 4 later that night, and then the next morning she had to wake up and insert 4 different pills vaginally. This softened the cervix and contracted her uterus so that her baby could pass through. She said the worst thing about it was seeing the amniotic sac and knowing her baby was in there. She regrets it everyday and advises anyone thinking of an abortion to think twice about it.

Hearing that story had greatly impacted my life and made me believe strongly against abortion. I am not criticizing people who choose abortion, but I think everyone should at least think twice.