Cagney - Cincinnati, Ohio

Life’s too Serious to be Taken Seriously

I believe that a sense of humor is required to live life to it’s fullest. It’s free, easy, legal, healthy, and leaves a person feeling great. If a person doesn’t have any sense of humor, I don’t think that they can be human. I also think that if people could just laugh something off more often, there would be a lot less tension in the world. There is a reason why great comedians are in such high demand. A great thing about it is that it is such a broad area, with so many fields, both verbal and nonverbal, like: slapstick, satire, sarcasm, and parody. There’s a specific type for everyone. What is funny for one person might bore someone else. For me, whenever I see or hear something funny, like “Whose Line is it Anyway?”, or “The Colbert Report,” I feel really good. There is a reason why they say that laughter is the best medicine. The word humor itself comes from the Greeks that said human health and emotion were controlled by a mix of fluids called humors.

The first time that I exhibited a sense of humor that my parents can remember, was when I was about three. It was winter, and the guy on the radio said that it was two degrees. My dad said “ Did you hear how cold it’s going to be tomorrow? It’s going to be two.” I replied, “Yeah, too cold.” Not that great, but I was three, what do you expect?

Another more recent, yet still old, example, is when I was little, I couldn’t sleep. So my parents gave me “sleepy time medicine.” I figured out after awhile that the “medicine” was actually just Nerds, but I still asked for them every night, because I was getting candy at night. My parents always thought that I just couldn’t sleep and wanted medicine. I admitted the truth only a couple years ago.

Where would the world be today, if there was no such thing as humor? My belief is that the world would be a lot less funny to live in then it is now.