John - Cincinnati, Ohio

Music “Rocks” My Life

Just like the title says, music “rocks” my life. Music is such an important part in my life because to tell you the truth, without music my life would be boring and uneventful. I play the guitar in my free time and viola for Oak Hills. I also listen to music during my free time. Music helps me calm down, playing in the orchestra helps me think more clearly, and most of the songs now tell a story, the bands view on something, or are just fun to listen to.

When I get stressed out, music is always there for me. All I have to do is put on headphones, and just relax. 15 minutes later, I’m de-stressed. Whenever I get work to do on the computer, I turn on music and I’m not as easily distracted as I would be. For musicians, music is the universal language. I find that this is very true. When I listen to songs, I feel like I’m watching them live and I start drumming the beat, or act like I’m playing guitar. Just by the way the music flows, I can tell if the band was mad, sad, happy, excited, and other emotions when they wrote the song. This helps me pick out songs to chose when I’m in those emotions. When I play my guitar, I get in a zone and I imagine that I am the lead guitarist of the band and nothing can stop me, I mean NOTHING!

A few months ago, Emmy-winning composer Mark Wood came to play with us in a concert. We (the orchestra) played songs by the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, and some others that Mark composed. He taught and showed us that just because you’re in the orchestra doesn’t mean you’re a nerd. Since then, I’ve had a whole new perspective on being in the orchestra. Orchestra is fun, and it can also improve your grades. By listening to classical music, it makes you smarter. It is clinically proven. People remember more when tested. I’ve been playing in the orchestra since the 4th grade, and it probably helped me make friends and helped me with grades. I’m glad I play viola because without it, I might not be playing guitar.

Most of the songs I listen to, rock or country, have some sort of message to them. Most of the country songs are telling a story. The rock songs are cleverly telling theirs views on an issue in songs so when people listen to them, they get that message stuck in their head and they tell their friends and is spreads. So in short terms, I think rock music these days are brainwashing kids, not saying that’s a bad thing or anything. I just believe that music could be a political war without anyone knowing it’s happening.

As you can see, music is my life. I believe that without music, the world would be a very dull place. Also, you don’t have to sing to make music. Poems are music without a beat. Music is a poem that is being sung. You can interchange them, but they aren’t the same. Sort of like all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares. All music are poems, but not all poems are music. This, I believe.