Michelle - Cincinnati, Ohio
Themes: death, family, love

Nothing’s Invincible, not Even Death

I believe that you can get through anything, even death. This past Tuesday, October 24, 2006, my grandfather was going to the bathroom he was so weak that he fell. When he could not get up my grandmother called the paramedics. On Friday, my grandfather went to go get out of his hospital bed and fell. He ended up breaking his hip he had to have surgery to put a pole in his leg.

Later on the next day, my grandfather’s health declined. That night, Sunday, my mom was at the hospital to 12:30am and my dad, his mom and sister stayed the entire night. All through his hospitalization my family, and my dad’s friends had been at the hospital to support my family. On Monday morning, October 30, 2006 we got a call at 6:00am from my dad telling us my grandfather had died.

This was hard news to take, what had been a hospitalization for a fall had ended my grandfather’s life. This was the first major loss that I have ever experienced in my life, I have the rest of my grandparents, and I have only lost distant relatives that I did not personally know. My grandfather’s death saddened me, but I was able to make my way through the school day. That night we went to my grandmother’s house and were surrounded by the love from not only my immediate, but extended family and friends.

Tomorrow is his visitation and Thursday, November 2, 2006 will be my grandfather’s funeral. I know that these next two days will be tough to handle. Having to see my dad cry will probably be the roughest thing to handle, because I never see my dad cry. The one time I have seen my dad cry made me cry as well.

I believe that through time that hurt that one feels through a loss will become less and less. Everyone has the strength inside of them to endure the losses that life has to through our way. If we are surrounded by the love of our friends and families, any one can fight their way through a loss. In the end I hope that my grandfather is in a better place, where he doesn’t feel the pain that he had to feel his last couple of days. I also just want him to know this that we are all okay and, “We miss you and love you grandpa.”