David - Cincinnati, Ohio

I believe that people should be there selves even if they are called names and made fun of.

People should be there own person not be a follower of many other people just to “fit in”. If no one would be there selves then everyone would be walking around wearing the same things, talking about the same things, and doing the same jobs.

I think that people should stop putting labels on people such as punk, emo, prep, jock, skater, thug…etc. Instead people should respect other people for being who they are and not trying to be someone else. If people are trying to be like someone else then they are considered “fake”. There is no one stopping you from being who you are beside yourself.

For instance I skateboard and people would say that skating is a crime and that it is a dumb thing to do. But I love skating, I don’t think that I would ever quit because when I’m skating I’m doing something that I love. And if people think it wrong and are putting labels on me then who cares. It’s my life I’ll do what I want to do with my life. After all it is my life not any one else’s. I do what I want to do with my life; other people should do what they want to do with theirs.

I was once told by my parents that I should give up skating because I could get in trouble and I could also get hurt, which could ruin my baseball career they said. And they said that they way I dressed with my band t-shirts and my long hair was a bad appeal. They tried to make me quit skateboarding. But I told them they couldn’t make me quit something that I loved to do. They said that skateboarding is not a career and that I would never make any money skateboarding. And with the look I had I would never be hired to work. So I quit skating which was really hard and I started focusing on baseball and school. I changed my style and I wish that I kind of wouldn’t have because skateboarding was something that I really enjoyed doing. And now I don’t have time to skateboard anymore with me working at Wild Mike’s and with select baseball. But I encourage people to be there selves and do what they want to and to be their own person not someone that their really not.