Katherine - cincinnati, Ohio
Themes: change, courage

I Believe People Should Try New Things

I believe that you should try something new because you may like it. There is a possibility, in life, that you can find something in your life that you never thought was there. You could find out that you have a talent that no one else thought you had. I found this out when I was in the fourth grade. I was excited about life at the young age of nine and when I saw something that I wanted to do, I went for it. Playing the violin. That simple prospect fascinated me at the young age of nine. I asked my parents and they agreed to let me play. We rented a violin. I was beyond joy. I would get to get out of class two times a week to play the shinny instrument. I was invigorated to know that some of my closest friends would also be taking these classes with me. It took me nearly 3 years to learn that I loved playing the violin. When I was younger I wanted to play simply because of the shinny, pretty instrument that I loved. Now I love the way my violin sounds. I love the way the violin feels when I pick it up to play. I could probably say that I love everything about my violin. When I first began learning to play, my mom used to have to force me to practice. Now the only thing that tells me when to practice is my own drive to make myself a better violinist.

Now when I try new foods and I don’t like them then I falter in this belief. It is tested but never over run or put out of my mind. Over this past summer I had to try something new. I went to nerd camp. Actually I went to various colleges and took different classes to see if I would like the college or the course of study. I was very much against going because I didn’t want to do anything over the summer (and I thought that there would be a bunch of nerds there). I ended up loving “nerd camp.” I found out again that when I tried something new that I had that small possibility of liking it. That is why I believe that you should try something new.